When people send me birthday wishes on Facebook, do I reply to them? If so, how should I do it?
Yes, when a birthday rolls around, people are often flooded with messages from friends. It’s great but what’s the etiquette?
You have a few options:
- Do nothing but later (maybe at the end of the day or tomorrow) post something thanking everyone
- Reply to each person individually
- Like each person’s post
In general, when you like a post, you’re sort of ending the conversation because you’re not replying and starting or keeping a conversation going. That’s sort of a general rule on Facebook that can be used here.
You could do a mixture of things if you want… like them all and reply to some.
What you do comes down to your personal preference and it may also depend on how many friends you have and how much time you have on your birthday.
If you have a lot of friends and you’re completely flooded with happy birthday messages, it’s completely reasonable and justified to not like or reply to very many posts and just thank everyone at once. People will see how many you’re getting and they’ll understand.
It is nice to reply to each person individually for thinking of you on your special day. I find it’s nice when I get a personal reply on someone’s birthday. Doing this to everyone could be something you regret… I wouldn’t but for some people, this might be an issue. It might start up lots of conversations that you don’t have time for.
What Not to Do
Some people say they post something on someone’s wall when they send you a birthday wish. That’s not good etiquette because you’re starting a new message thread that way and when you post on someone’s wall, everyone sees it. It’s kind of a big deal to do that. Their wall is their profile, basically. Don’t do this. Instead, reply to the message they sent you.
Don’t do nothing. At the very least, you should post one message to everyone, thanking them for all the birthday wishes that were sent to you. The next level up would be to like every post sent to you. The next level up from there would be to reply to some and then finally, reply to all of them.
And you may want to make sure you reply individually to family members.
If You Don’t Want Birthday Posts
If you don’t like people sending you birthday wishes, then you can simple choose to not have your birthday published on Facebook and nobody will know or get notified when it’s your birthday. Do this by going into your profile and editing it.
To do this:
- Click on the “Update Info” button on your profile page
- Go to “Contact and Basic Info”
- Go to your birthday, then click on the “Edit” button next to it
- Set who can see your birthday – it can be set to the options available there
Got More Questions?
Did this help you? If you have more questions, comments or advice, please leave them in the comments area below.
- birth day replsy fb
- preference for family msg on fb
- i want to change my date of birth on Facebook
- how to respond to facebook birthday posts
- how to respond to birthday messages on facebook
- how to respond to a happy birthday text
- how to reply to friend who wished you happy birthday on facebook
- how to reply to birthday messages on fb
- how to reply to birthday messages
- How to reply a birthday msg on Facebook
- happy birthday wishes reply message on fb
- happy birthday to you repy wall
- happy birthday reply messages
- happy birthday reply
- birthday reply message
- single reply to friend who wish you happy birthday